VP Commercial Credit Administration
Position Number: VP CC
Location: San Jose, CA
The Vice President, Commercial Credit Administration is responsible for managing and directing the Credit Union’s Commercial Lending, Commercial Special Assets and Credit Review groups while operating under the policy and procedures in support of the Credit Union’s requirements for quality and efficient lending products and services. The scope encompasses commercial loan approvals, structuring guidance, underwriting, commercial loan policy, loan review and regulatory interface as well as frequent special projects.
The incumbent will participate in monthly committee meetings, ensure appropriate loan risk ratings and reserves, maintain compliance with all accounting and loan policies, and work closely with staff to help them achieve the best outcome of commercial credits.
Manages Participation Loan Function at TechCU
• Manages the sales function for Participation loan sales,
• Insures the sale of appropriate portions of new/existing loans to meet the institution’s diversification strategy,
• Manages the interface function between TechCU and outside financial institution(s),
• Completes independent underwriting for new loan participation purchases from other credit unions and commercial banks.
Approves Commercial Loans within lending authority
• Reviews and approves commercial loans within assigned authority level,
• Refers commercial loans outside of lending authority to the CCO/SLC.
Provides guidance to Commercial/Business Banking
• Provides guidance and credit expertise to team members in Commercial/Business Banking and other TechCU units, which may include evaluation and suitable structuring recommendations for commercial credits.
Commercial Special Assets
• Manages the Commercial Special Assets function in accordance with Credit Union laws/regulations, and Board of Directors’ policies,
• Develops, coordinates, and administers loss mitigation strategies to minimize credit losses in commercial and business banking loan areas,
• Designs and implements metrics and reports to identify delinquencies and maturing loans that may evolve into greater problems,
• Keeps current with regulatory changes and economic trends related to the industry by a variety of common/acceptable methods. Ensures regulatory compliance with applicable governmental agencies and entities.
• Oversees the performance of effective and timely reviews of credits at TechCU,
• Monitors adherence to TechCU and Regulatory policies & procedures.
Reporting to the Chief Credit Officer at Tech CU’s headquarters, the incumbent will serve as a key team member, working across all parts of the credit union to ensure that Commercial credits are properly managed and risks identified and mitigated. This role requires strong credit skills and equally strong abilities to influence and communicate well.
In addition to reporting to the Chief Credit Officer, the candidate will work closely with:
• Commercial Banking team
• Business Banking team
• Senior Management
• Other financial institutions
• Note Department
• Credit Union Members
• Accounting and Finance
Establishes scope of authority and responsibility for direct reports.
Engages with direct reports and peers to align goals, establish performance metrics, provide feedback and develop talent.
Manages/monitors budget to maximize operating efficiencies.
Reviews and responds to concerns raised about the Division identified in audit/regulatory reports.
Supports established policy & procedures, recommending changes as needed.
Coordinates with Human Resources in matters affecting human resources management.
Supports the Credit Union’s Mission & Vision and lives the Tech CU Values (Accelerate, Collaborate, Innovate, & Cultivate).
Meets on a monthly basis with own manager to discuss goal alignment, performance metrics, and development plans.
Adheres to Policy & Procedure put forth in employee handbook; upholds employee Code of Conduct/Ethics, and ensures confidentiality of the workplace.
The employee will comply with all rules and regulations as defined by applicable regulatory agencies. The employee will also adhere to all internal controls and security measures designed to ensure regulatory compliance with State and Federal laws.
Typically has at minimum:
Education: Bachelors’ Degree preferably with a business focus, is required. An advanced degree in a relevant discipline is considered advantageous.
Experience: 10 to 15 years' of lending and credit approval experience, initially as an individual contributor and progressing to a leadership role. Previous experience as a Senior Commercial relationship manager strongly preferred.
• Significant credit underwriting and approval expertise in commercial banking, Commercial Real Estate lending and small to middle market business banking is required; preferably with experience in California. Private Banking experience is a plus.
• Experience managing problem loans and related credit processes is necessary, including knowledge of financial institution accounting practices pertaining to accrual status, troubled debt restructurings, asset valuations, and allowance for loan losses.
• Experience working with other financial institutions purchasing participation loans is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients and across lines of business within a financial services firm. Collaborative approach to problem solving with key counterparts at all levels, as well as, with clients. Must have a relationship mindset and focus is critical to the position.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills is necessary, as well as analytical, mathematical and reasoning skills.
• Strong ability to juggle priorities, multi-task and take ownership of projects is essential.
Travel: Holds a clear & valid California Drivers’ License. Possess current automobile insurance. Willingness to drive one’s own auto to conduct Credit Union business. Applicable IRS mileage reimbursement rate will be provided for credit union approved business travel.
Ability to sit 85% of the day. Keyboard and read computer screen for 70% of time during which one is seated. Moves about the office or in motor vehicle 15% of the day.
THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY STATES OR IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES TO BE PERFORMED BY THE INCUMBENT EMPLOYEE. HE OR SHE MAY BE REQUIRED TO FOLLOW OTHER INSTRUCTIONS AND TO PERFORM OTHER DUTIES/PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES AS DIRECTED BY HIS OR HER MANAGER.